Autore Topic: "Portholes" streamline GF piston filler  (Letto 515 volte)

Online fountainbel

• Baby User
"Portholes" streamline GF piston filler
« il: Aprile 25, 2021, 20:08:20 pm »
Hi fountain pen friends !
The corona pandemic gives me lots of time to spend in may workshop, so I decided to design & make a new GF piston filler.
Since I was always intrigued  by the “portholes” ink windows - as done on the Pelikan P1 -  I thought making a pen with ink windows  as such would be great.
The portholes should however be larger, and situated down,close to the section
I only had a small bar of this beautiful  green striated vintage celluloid left - too short to making an OS pen - so I decided to make a middle size pen, size of a MB146.
Since I’ve never made a fully “streamline” pen- cap and body at their joint seam at the same diameter - it should be my first “streamline” GF piston filler
So I went to  the drawing board and designed this new pen.
Making the 4 portholes directly in the barrel wall could be delicate since the piston internally passes the portholes and should be completely flush and leak free.
So I decided to install 4  fine threaded acrylic  plugs in the barrel, secured with epoxy glue.
After hardening for a day the barrel bore was drilled through together with the porthole plugs and the bore was gradually increased till it was 0.1 mm  smaller as the final  bore diameter.
Finishing to the final diameter was done with a perfect reamer , generously applying  cutting oil.
To result was smoothy & perfect, so I was relieved  having taken  the most delicate hurdle, and happily made the other parts.
The pen is equipped with my piston filler and allows an ink intake of 1.7ml.
Furniture is made from sterling silver .
Pen features a size 6 Bock screw in nib unit .
Striated lines are 180° apart and radially match perfectly between all parts.
In the end only a 12mm long part of the celluloid bar was left, so luckily I did not have to scrap one of the parts and make a new one !
I’m rather happy with this new pen, my collection keeps steadily growing !
On the attached pictures you can see my new pen, hope you like it.
As always your comments and critique are most welcome!
Best regards,
Francis

Offline Giuseppe Tubi

• Top Expert
Re:"Portholes" streamline GF piston filler
« Risposta #1 il: Aprile 25, 2021, 20:22:59 pm »
Ottimo lavoro. Bellissima penna.

Offline Parcival

Re:"Portholes" streamline GF piston filler
« Risposta #2 il: Aprile 25, 2021, 23:01:54 pm »
Bella penna. :set2010090:

Tags: