Autore Topic: Tibaldi Tresparente  (Letto 4031 volte)

Offline fountainbel

• Baby User
Tibaldi Tresparente
« il: Maggio 23, 2018, 23:06:55 pm »
Hello Italian pen friends
Happy I was allowed  to join your flourishing community!
Being a fan of Italian design I’ve just acquired beautiful  large Tibaldi Tresparante.
However the filling system was completely removed by one of the previous owners since it was defective.
A cork plug was installed at the back of the barrel and the pen was used an an eyedropper .
I already repaired another Tibaldi Tresparante which was equipped with a pump filler (sort of Vacumatic) and a breather tube.
The pen I just acquired has however no inside threads at the barrel end , so I expect it was not equipped with a pump filler .
My question is, :Did Tibaldi also used another filling system on the Tresparente, perhaps a classic screw  piston filler?
The inner barrel barrel shows a 8 mm long axial slot behind the nib housing, so if it was a piston filler the piston could not come so far.
Or was there perhaps an internal transparent barrel inside the outer barrel ?
I’ve measured the barrel , on the attached sketch you can see the actual  dimensions.
I would surely appreciate if you could tell me what kind of filling system was originally used in this barrel.
Thanks in advance for your help !
Best regards,
Francis 

Offline fountainbel

• Baby User
Re:Tibaldi Tresparente
« Risposta #2 il: Maggio 24, 2018, 13:04:00 pm »
See here:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/207715-any-leads-for-celluloid-tibaldi-repair/
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/206514-cristallized-celluloid-pens-a-tibaldi-trasparente-ruined/

Thanks Parcival !
But these posts only refer to the "pump filler" version which is screwed in at the back of the barrel
At the barrel end of my pen are no internal threads…..
Francis

Online Parcival

« Risposta #3 il: Maggio 24, 2018, 13:48:55 pm »
This is a limited edition and has a piston filling system. I found this too:

Online Giuseppe Tubi

• Top Expert
« Risposta #4 il: Maggio 24, 2018, 14:21:34 pm »
A me una Tibaldi 60, che dovrebbe avere lo stesso sistema di carica (grosso converter interno), la Stipula me l'ha riparata pochissimo tempo fa.

Offline fountainbel

• Baby User
« Risposta #5 il: Maggio 24, 2018, 19:31:01 pm »
A me una Tibaldi 60, che dovrebbe avere lo stesso sistema di carica (grosso converter interno), la Stipula me l'ha riparata pochissimo tempo fa.

Exactly!
This surely looks as the system which was used in my pen, thanks Parcival & Giuseppe !
The barrel bore being only 8,4mm diameter, I'm surprised there is sort of convector tube inside this already small diameter.
I expect the effective piston bore will be around to 7mm in this case ,right ?
Drawback being the pen will hold only around 1,2ml of ink if I'm right, this looks a small amount of ink for such a big pen….
I am evaluating the possibility to make it a "pump filler",so the ink will be stored directly in the celluloid barrel .
Will the celluloid cope when exposed continuously to ink ?
Thanks in advance for your advise!
Francis

Offline fountainbel

• Baby User
« Risposta #6 il: Maggio 25, 2018, 19:27:20 pm »
Hello fountain pen friends !
I could not wait longer to repair this beautiful pen….
So after some thoughts I made me the drawing, made me the parts, installed the filler in the pen and tested.
Works perfectly t ! And what a nib…; smooth as a feather !
Below my drawing on the filler adaptation I’ve executed on the Tibaldi Tresparente
The original piston filler features an internal  convertor, restricting the piston bore to 7mm, hence a rather poor ink capacity .of approximately 1,2 ml
Aiming for minimal  2ml ink storage capacity, I decided  equip the pen with  a “pump iller”, similar to the one Tibaldi used in a later stage on these pens
The new pump filling system - including the pumping stroke - remains completely in the original piston housing compartment.
This bore still being still perfectly smooth.
I did not want to alter anything on the barrel, the barrel remains completely original
The front part of the filling knob - the part which was originally sitting inside the barrel - was already partly broken off,.
So I've cut the remaining  part off on the lathe and installed the newly made screw-on plug in the existing bore and secured it with epoxy.
As you can see on the drawing I logically installed a breather tube over the cartridge nipple of the nib housing.
The filling pump concept is very simple:
Unscrew the filling button, pull it back, emerge the nib in the ink pot and pump 6-7 times to make a full 2ml filling and screw the filling knob back on the barrel.
Note the filler housing is mounted with a light pretension in the barrel and secured with shellack.
I know, its not original , but I now have a beautiful perfect working pen with an ink storage capacity over 2 ml !
And whenever needed one can always opt to go back to the original design.
Your commente and thoughts are most welcome!
Best regards,
Francis

Offline fountainbel

• Baby User
« Risposta #7 il: Giugno 01, 2018, 11:02:21 am »
Dear friends,
After reading the interesting post  in the “Code of Ethics” forum, I realize my repair approach is not acceptable for the majority of you…..
And I fully understand , in fact I always aim to stick to the original design.
This was the first Tibaldi  piston filler I’ve repaired , and all the piston filler parts were gone.
The pen was used for years as an eye dropper , a cork plug was installed at the barrel end, and the filling knob part which goes inside in the barrel was partly broken-off and glued together with the filling knob in the barrel 
As I understood, the piston filler parts are not available anymore, and having no references nor the dimensions of the parts I could not try to make them myself.
This was the mean reason why I’ve designed and installed a  pump filler insert,
Note however I did not alter anything  on the barrel, the barrel remains  completely original.
So  whenever the original parts may become available I one can rebuild the pen and equip it with the original piston filling system.
I’ve also evaluated the possibility to  install a copy of the original Tibaldi pump filler module, which is actually available in stainless steel.
This would however imply I had to cut the fixation threads inside the barrel end - hence definitively altering the barrel - and I did not want to do this
Hope this clarifies the reasons why I’ve went for this uncommon repair approach….
My apologies if I’ve should  have upset  you !
Best regards,
Francis

Tags:

Twittear