Autore Topic: Hello from Michigan  (Letto 2014 volte)

Offline sfs6205

• Beginner
Hello from Michigan
« il: Aprile 19, 2010, 16:04:29 pm »
Hello,

This is my first post at pennamania.  I look forward to discussing Viscontis with Visconti experts - Italians.  What great pens - they're my favorite.  Thus far I own two van Gogh midis, an Opera Club Nordic Blue, and an Opera Master Demonstrator.  I will be ordering the Homo sapiens this week, but I cannot decide which nib I want.  The stub would be fun to write with, but difficult to use for record keeping, and grading.  For official writing, I think I should use a Fine or Extra Fine.  I have medium nibs on all of my current Viscontis, and they're a bit wet.

So, should I go for a nib to use for personal writing or official writing?

By the way, I love your emoticons! :set2010001:

Sarah

Online turin-pens

• 100.831 fotografie in archivio. Traguardo 100.000 ABBATTUTO
  • Amministratore
  • Traguardo 200.000 ormai prossimo
Re: Hello from Michigan
« Risposta #1 il: Aprile 19, 2010, 16:56:12 pm »
Hello Sarah!

my preferred Visconti is the Wall Street green ringed with fine and flexible point because I prefere a dry flow, medium or stub are bit wet for my taste.
Also I write with a "old" Visconti Urushi, black laquered.

Best

Riccardo

Offline sbroglia

• Top Expert
« Risposta #2 il: Aprile 19, 2010, 17:00:39 pm »
HI Sra,

welome to our forum!

We do love Viscontis and I prefer particulary the oldest models!

your issue on the nib points is correct: I would love to write very large but for working a fine or an extra fine is the best options!

enjoy! :set2010072:

Offline eric47

• Advanced User / Master Copyrighter
« Risposta #3 il: Aprile 19, 2010, 17:49:43 pm »
HI look forward to discussing Viscontis with Visconti experts - Italians.

The stub would be fun to write with, but difficult to use for record keeping, and grading.  For official writing, I think I should use a Fine or Extra Fine.

So, should I go for a nib to use for personal writing or official writing?

Count me out then because I'm not Italian. ;D Like Stefano, I like the old models.

Stubs...hmm...maybe you've been hanging out at FPN too long?!? :set2010033:

Seriously, when do you think you'll use the pen more, personal or official? Perhaps that will help you decide. But you indicated you wanted to use it for grading and record keeping; in which case I would opt for the EF or F, particularly with grading, e.g. comments on the margins or between the lines. I couldn't do either of those even with an M. The quality of the paper you'll be receiving often won't be say Moleskine quality, bleeding becomes an issue so the narrow the nib the better.

I haven't tried the Homo Sapiens yet, none of my local shops have them in yet. So I don't know how wide those Pd nib run.

Offline sfs6205

• Beginner
« Risposta #4 il: Aprile 19, 2010, 20:35:52 pm »
Hey Eric,

Yes, I've been at FPN too long.  Don't you love these icons?

I just ordered (in fact Bryant put it in the mail this morning) a Conway Stewart Coronet Green Swirl in XF, so maybe I'll save the H sapiens for those bold writings.

Offline eric47

• Advanced User / Master Copyrighter
« Risposta #5 il: Aprile 20, 2010, 09:15:48 am »
Hey Eric,

Yes, I've been at FPN too long.  Don't you love these icons?

I just ordered (in fact Bryant put it in the mail this morning) a Conway Stewart Coronet Green Swirl in XF, so maybe I'll save the H sapiens for those bold writings.
Hi Sarah, the emoticons are great, although I wish they're were half of their current size. :P

The CS XF should do the job. The Pd nib is supposed to be rather flexible (for a modern nib), so perhaps that best used for those occasions when you want a bit of flair. However, even with true flex and semi-flex nibs (unless they're wet noodles), you can still write with a light touch with little flex. With flexible nibs, I actually prefer EF and F nibs, so really bring out the line variation -- from EF/F to B/BB. I have one vintage Omas B nib (quite stub-like) that's flexible; fun to use, but not for daily writing.

What do you teach? :)

Offline sfs6205

• Beginner
« Risposta #6 il: Aprile 21, 2010, 20:39:01 pm »
Hey Eric,

The Conway Stewart arrived and the XF is much wetter than I expected.  I may even have it ground down a bit more.

As for my teaching schedule, I'm at a community (2 year) college and I teach a number of sociology topics, physical and cultural anthropology, and nanotechnology (how it will impact society).  I stay busy.  And it's obvious why I want the Homo sapiens!  I've also come across some Darwin pens, but they were way out of my price range.

Later!

Sarah

Offline mikul

• Beginner
« Risposta #7 il: Dicembre 16, 2010, 01:31:29 am »
Hi Eric

I think F size for Homo Sapiens is ok. Of course this is only my opinion

Tags:

Twittear